iPhone app that measures happiness proves wandering mind is unhappy mind
Now you can measure people’s moods using an iPhone app. Researchers at Harvard have found that most of us use daydreaming as a way to solve life’s problems and there is a correlation between daydreaming and unhappiness.
The iPhone app discovered that those who daydream were most likely to be unhappy. The app was called ‘Track Your Happiness’ and used to measure people’s happiness by asking them how they were feeling at random point during the day by calling iPhone users. And out of 2,250 adults nearly 47% admitted to daydreaming whenever their iPhone rang to ask about their feelings.
This iPhone app collected people’s mental frame at various points of time in a day to check their mood. The study was conducted using iPhone web app to collect 250,000 data points on volunteer’s thoughts feelings and actions during their life. It was found that those with a wandering mind felt gloomy. This led the scientists to believe that ‘the ability to think about what is not happening is a cognitive achievement that comes at an emotional cost.’
In order to track this behavior of people Mathew A. Killingsworth and Daniel T. Gilbert of Harvard University undertook the research. Killingsworth developed an iPhone app contacting 2,250 volunteers who were asked how happy they were, what they were presently doing or whether they were thinking about their current activity or about something else that was pleasant, neutral or unpleasant.
The research which was published in the journal Science also revealed that people were most happy when they were having sex, exercising or engaging in a conversation. They were most unhappy while resting, working or using a home computer.
The findings of the iPhone web app proves the age old belief by many religious and psychological traditions that teach us that in order to be happy live in the moment because wandering mind is the root of all sorrow and gloominess. The research also stated that mind-wandering was generally the cause and not the consequence of people’s happiness.
- iPhone App iMovie at price USD4.99 hit stores, another feather in iPhone
- iPhone OS 4.0: New and hidden features of iPhone OS 4.0 that you never knew
- iPhone 3GS in India on Airtel network, 8GB phone at price Rs. 29,500
- iPhone 4.0 OS: Features, Specs and Review from Experts over this new Gadget
- iPhone OS 4 Price
- iPhone 3GS price in India, iPhone 3GS price and features after discount
- Airtel, Aircel to bring iPhone 4 in coming months, price yet to be revealed
- iPad 2 vs. Xoom vs. Galaxy Tab vs. Playbook: price and weight comparison
- How to Block Phone Numbers on Apple iPhone, Tips to Block Phone Numbers
- iPad 2, price, features, release time and more on second generation iPad
- MacBook Air unveiled in India features in iLife 11 at price Rs 72900
- iPhone finally gets Google Voice app in the US only, will not work on iPad
- iPad Vs. Playbook: which is better tablet player for price and features
- iTunes Store to unwrap The Beatles catalog for download, trasfer to iPhone
- Anti-iPhone- no-frills, no feature phone that just makes calls nothing else