Nokia to continue with the Symbian OS platform for the low-end smartphones
The Symbian OS had been a driving force behind almost all of Nokia’s high-end phones in the past. But after the release of Nokia N8 in the recent past the company has said that it will no more produce phones running on this platform anymore. The Linux based MeeGo platform will be taking over as the platform for Nokia’s high end devices from now on.
But, it seems that the company has a special attachment with the platform as they are not willing to let go of the Symbian platform. The analysts are of the view that Nokia needed some platform to drive their low end smartphones and the Symbian OS is going to fit well for them.
"Clearly, Nokia needed a platform to drive smartphones to lower price points and Symbian is the natural fit for that, At the same time, what we saw Nokia starting to use Maemo for, was…the N900 which is a high-end smartphone and an N-series product. So, no big surprise then that MeeGo will be used in a similar way or be expanded to cover those products at the high-end of its N-series portfolio" explained the Canalys analyst Tim Shepherd.
Announced in February, MeeGo is essentially a combination of Nokia's Maemo effort with Intel's Moblin Linux distribution. In June 2008, Nokia made its first big move to turn around the platform and announced that it was acquiring Symbian, with the intent of turning the OS into an open source project.
Nokia spokesperson said in an e-mail that the company "remains committed to the Symbian platform and its role in bringing smartphones to the masses". The handset manufacturer will continue to support and play an active role in the platform's evolution under the Symbian Foundation, she added.
Whether the company goes for providing low end smartphones with the Symbian OS is not clear now but it is expected that Nokia will try to take on the market leaders like Apple, Samsung in the low end range and will look to give the iOS and Android a competition by the MeeGo platform.
- Nokia to regain top spot with MeeGO based mobiles but not Android platform
- Nokia to promote MeeGo OS at European conference
- Nokia to launch X3-02, C5-03 and C6-01 this quarter, confirmed via Twitter
- Nokia C5 launched at affordable price, run on Symbian version OS
- Nokia N8 Review: forgive Symbian^3 glitch you will still love smartphone
- Nokia 105 Price in India
- Nokia 301 Price in India
- Nokia Lumia 505 Price in India
- Nokia 114 price in India
- Nokia 808 price in India, Nokia 808 Features light weight long battery life
- Nokia Lumia 610 Price in India, Nokia Lumia 610 Features 5MP camera
- Nokia Asha 303 Price in India and Features for games, entertainment
- Nokia Asha 302 Price in India and Features for entertainment
- Nokia C2-01 Price in India, Nokia C2-01 Features quad Band GSM
- Nokia C2-02 Price in India, Nokia C2-02 Touch and Type Price in India