Motorola files patent law suit against Apple, covers iPhone, iPad, iTouch
Motorola Inc. filed several patent infringement complaints against Apple Inc. alleging that many Apple products are illegally using Motorola’s technology. These include iPhone, iPad, iTouch and some Mac computers. Motorola filed the complaints in two US district courts and the US International Trade Commission.
Motorola, in one of its complaints, has asked the US International Trade Commission to conduct an investigation into the alleged use of patents by Apple. It has also asked for an order against Apple to stop using patented technology and provide compensation for Apple’s past infringement in federal court in Illinois and Florida.
According to The Wall Street Journal, Motorola had no option but to file these complaints to halt Apple’s continued infringement. Motorola, that has extensively licensed its intellectual property portfolio throughout every cycle of the telecommunications industry evolution, said that Apple refused to take a license after repeated lengthy negotiations and that prompted Motorola to take such an action. Motorola has sued Apple in three separate complaints and the suit covers 18 different patents. The ITC complaint asks the court to block the import of Apple’s allegedly infringing products.
The corporate vice president of intellectual property at Motorola Mobility Kirk Dailey said in a statement, “Motorola will continue to take all necessary steps to protect its R&D and intellectual property, which are critical to the company’s business.” He further stated that Motorola’s industry leading intellectual property portfolio consists of tens of thousands of patents in the US and worldwide.
According to Motorola, the patents include wireless communication technologies such as, WCDMA (3G), GPRS, 802.11 and antenna design. It also includes key smartphone technologies including wireless e-mail, proximity sensing, location based services, multi device synchronization and software app management.
Patent wars are not new to technology world. We’ve been hearing news about big players filing law suits against each other very often such as Microsoft sued Motorola, Oracle sued Google, Apple sued HTC and in retaliation HTC sued Apple again, Apple also sued Nokia and Kodak sued RIM and Apple both and the list goes on and on. Meanwhile Apple representatives were unavailable to comment on the law suit filed against it.
- Motorola Starts Lawsuit against Microsoft Again
- Motorola blames Microsoft for six patents vilations including Bing, WP 7
- Motorola Droid 4 Price in India, Motorola Droid 4 Features 8MP camera, Spec
- Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX Price in India, Features 8MP camera, Specs
- Motorola MOTOLUXE Price in India, Motorola MOTOLUXE Features 4 inch screen
- Motorola Atrix 2 price in India, Motorola Atrix 2 Features 4.3 inch screen
- Motorola XT615 Price in India, Motorola XT615 Price and Features Android OS
- Motorola Xoom price in India, Motorola Xoom price and Features Wi-Fi only
- Motorola MOTORAZR2 V9 price
- Motorola 3G Mobile in India: Motorola Backflip features and specifications
- Motorola Milestone XT800 price India Motorola Milestone features 5MP camera
- Motorola Glam price in India, Motorola Glam price and features Dual SIM
- Android phone without touch screen to be launched by Motorola
- Can Motorola Droid Xoom tablet give Apple iPad a run for its money
- Motorola plans to sell 7, 00,000 to 1 mn Droid Xoom tablets in Q1, 2011