Mobile phone Plane Finder AR application by Pinkfroot might help terrorists
A mobile phone application which has been made by a British firm named Pinkfroot, might intrigue the terrorists for an attack. The Plane Finder AR application for the Apple iPhone and Google's Android allows the user to point the phone towards the sky and makes it available to see the position, height and speed of an aircraft flying nearby. Security experts who have been noticing the function of this application have called for its immediate ban.
The Plane finder application also shows the name of the airline, the flight number, departure and the destination point with the route of the flight. The application programme is sold for just 1.79 pounds in the entire online Apple store. The security experts labeled this programme as an "aid to terrorists".
The new application intercepts the so-called Automatic Dependent Surveillance - broadcasts (ADS-B) which is transmitted by most passenger aircraft to a new satellite tracking system. The satellite tracking system supplements or replaces the radar in some countries. Neither the British nor the European air traffic control systems have adopted the technology. They are planning to fit it in all the new aircraft which are being manufactured.
Federal Aviation Administration official warned that ADS-B technology could be used by terrorists even after the 9/11 attacks in the US in 200. Pinkfroot, the application uses a network of aircraft in Britain and abroad those are equipped with ADS-B receivers to receive the information from aircraft and send it to a central database.
Pinkfroot which is based in Southsea, Hampshire, went a step further in marketing the application which has given liberty to the user who has the product to point the camera of the phone at the sky and see the near about position of the aircraft which is crossing the horizon. Lee Armstrong, a director of Pinkfroot, had said that it had "crossed our minds that a terrorist could use it"
The firm said that the user only gets the display of 30 seconds which has already passed so to get the work done radar has to own by the person. More than 2,000 people have downloaded Plane Finder AR from iTunes since its launch last month.
- Mobile Number Portability starts on Dec 31, MNP charges MNP benefit, option
- Mobile number portability from 1st week of May in Chennai and Bangalore
- Mobile number portability or MNP in India, Latest news, update on MNP India
- Mobile Number Portability to be operational from Jan 20, 2011
- Fring enters into Android platform for mobile phone though with Fring flaws
- Obi Alligator S454 price in India
- Xolo Q1100 Price in India
- XOLO Q800 X-Edition Price in India
- Gionee GPAD G2 price in India
- Salora FonTab price in India
- Nikon D7100 DSLR Price in India
- Intel XOLO X500 Price in India
- Idea Ivory Price in India
- Doro PhoneEasy 740 Price in India, Doro PhoneEasy 740 Features 5MP Camera
- Beetel GD777 Price in India, Beetel GD777 Features FM Radio, Music player