Maruti SX4 diesel launch in mid 2011, pitted against VW Vento diesel
Maruti Suzuki is in all gears to launch the mid-sized sedan, the Maruti SX4 in diesel variant. The automaker plans to roll out the SX4 with a DDiS engine after enjoying the huge success of Swift and Dzire in diesel engine options. Maruti developed SX4 and the car soon became people’s favorite due to its design which is very suitable for Indian road condition.
The Maruti SX4 car is sold as a crossover in North American and some of the European markets although it was initially launched as a 5-door hatchback. SX4 in diesel version will be pitted against other players in the same segment namely, Honda City, Ford Fiesta, Fiat Linea and Hyundai Verna. But the strongest rival of SX4 diesel motor will be recently launched Volkswagen Vento.
Maruti sells SX4 diesel in European markets with 1.9 L and 2.0 L DDiS engine options but in the Indian context the car is expected to be powered by 1.6 L DDiS engine to be able to compete with Volkswagen’s Vento which is powered by a similar engine producing 105 bhp.
The SX4 1.6L diesel engine is expected to produce 115 bhp of power and maximum torque of 203 Nm. The dimensions of the car are; 4490 mm length, 1570 mm width and 1570 mm height. The car has a wheel base of 2500 mm and comes with 190 mm of ground clearance. The vehicle offers a boot space of 505 L.
But there are anticipations that the Maruti SX4 will be powered by the famous Fiat 1.3 L Multijet engine that produces 90 hp because Maruti currently does not manufacture any other diesel engines other than the 1.3 L Multijet and another reason to go for the engine will be its cost as sourcing a new engine will be time consuming and costlier option according to Maruti.
The launch of Maruti Suzuki SX 4 has been delayed earlier due to delays in procuring the diesel engine from Fiat. Maruti wanted the 1.6L engine from Fiat to help in keeping the price tag relatively lower but recently Fiat has licensed Maruti to make only the 1.3 L motor in India and not the 1.6 l or 1.9 L engines. The car was scheduled to launch this year.
Ever since Honda City was launched in October last year, Maruti was aiming to launch its own SX4 in diesel variant. Honda City has been giving fierce competition to SX4 by selling almost double the number of units as sold by Maruti. But Maruti is optimistic to get back on top of the sales targets of the new SX4 with the launch of diesel model.
- Maruti SX4 diesel to be introduced on Indian roads in Feb 2011
- Maruti SX4 diesel Price in India, Maruti Suzuki SX4 Features, Specification
- Maruti Suzuki SX4 diesel launch in 2011, approx. price and features
- Maruti Suzuki SX4 diesel launch in mid 2011, Maruti Suzuki SX4 price
- Maruti Suzuki SX4 in diesel engine in mid 2011 in India
- Maruti A-STAR 2012 Price in India, New Maruti A-STAR 2012 Features, Specs
- Maruti Ertiga Price in India, Maruti Ertiga Launch, Ertiga Mileage, Booking
- Maruti Swift 2011 booking started officially at Maruti Swift India web site
- New Maruti Dzire 2011 price lower than Dzire 2010, New Dzire 2011 price
- New Swift Dzire 2011 price to be reduced, New Swift Dzire 2011 price range
- Maruti Suzuki MPV RIII launch Marui Suzuki MPV RIII price and Features
- Maruti Swift 2011 launch in Aug, Maruti Swift 2011 launch date in India
- Maruti Cervo 2011 price Maruti Cervo 2011 price range for different models
- Maruti Swift 2011 mileage, Maruti Ritz mileage, Maruti Dzire diesel mileage
- Maruti Cervo 2011, New Maruti Swift 2011, Maruti Dzire 2011: Comparison