Ford Figo for India at price Rs. 3.5 lac, first small segment car from Ford
After registering a 22% year on year sales growth in Indian market – American car giant Ford is ready and geared up to take upon the Indian Automobile industry stalwarts Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai. And this time Ford has decided to compete in Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai dominant segment.
The small car segment constitutes to more than 70% of the entire 4 wheeler market in India and Ford did realize that it needs presence in this segment if it intends to grow further.
Ford Figo – the first small segment car from Ford Motors is priced at around Rs. 3.5 Lacs and would be directly competing with the existing models like Ritz from Maruti and I10 from Hyundai. To meet the competitive pricing of Ford Figo efforts are on to ensure a high degree of localization (almost 85%) for the car.
Ford is looking to make India an export hub for small cars and also plans to export a significant number of Ford Figo to Asia Pacific and African countries.
Ford Figo shall be rolled out from Ford’s Chennai manufacturing location. Ford Figo which would be available in petrol 1200 cc as well as diesel 1400 cc promises to be an economical car. It is expected that petrol version of Ford Figo would have an average of 15.5 KMPL while the diesel version would have it around 20 KMPL. Ford started developing the Figo in 2007 and Ford Figo was globally unveiled in September last year.
Ford’s Chennai unit has capacity of producing 200,000 units per year with the annual engine manufacturing capacity of 250,000 units per year. Ford India president Michael Boneham was quoted saying that “Ford Figo is the right product and at the right price point for Ford”.
This statement itself speaks volume of the aggressive policy which Ford has adopted to penetrate the Indian market and provide a stiff competition to the existing players. Ford currently has presence in the form of 167 ford dealers in 97 Indian cities. 28 Dealers of these were opened in one single day to ensure the successful launch of Ford Figo.
Although Ford has not revealed technical specifications of Ford Figo yet, Figo has already created a stir in market.
- Honda Brio price in India, Honda Brio Petrol model price in India
- Force One SUV price
- Honda CR-V Crossover 2012 launch in India, Honda CR-V Crossover price India
- Chevrolet Beat diesel price in India, Beat diesel price, features ideal car
- GM Beat now with diesel model launch in July 2011, GM Beat price in India
- Spark 800, GM Chevrolet Spark 800 compact car to be launched by 2011
- Honda Brio launch, Honda Brio price: urban car designed for congested roads
- Camaro launch in India, Camaro launch date and price, Camaro price in India
- Volkswagen Vento Technical Specification, Volkswagen Vento Review, VW India
- Honda readies to launch new face lifted Jazz on Indian shores in 2011